1. Catch those sun rays. If you’re lucky enough to see sun rays be quick to make the most of it. When focusing, make sure the sun rays fall within the area of your chosen subject. Quickly move your mobile around to find an angle that catches most of the sun rays. Tap your mobile phone screen to zoom in on the sun rays (this filters through the light) and take your shot. (Best with iOS and Android smart phones.)
2. Play with angles. Don’t just take pictures from the front. Be adventurous and take them from above, below, or hold your mobile phone camera at an angle. This creates exciting perspective. The camera on your mobile is also less “serious” compared to a real camera so chances are you’ll enjoy experimenting.
3. Come close – literally. As the camera on your mobile does not contain actual zoom lens that digital photos have, you will have to approach your subject to get the best picture. This will prevent blurred photos and pixellation. Even if you have a mobile that can digitally zoom in, it will usually result in the loss of pixels (see the zoomed in image on right).
4. Choose, frame, and focus. Instead of photographing the entire building opt to focus on a single interesting aspect of the building. For example choose to focus on an interesting looking exterior wall lantern. This often allows for more atmospheric images – the kind that’s great as a photo book cover!
5. Light, light, and more light. If your mobile does not have built-in flash, try to take pictures in well-lit places. If you’re indoor, just direct some light toward your subject and snap away – you’ll see the results are instantly better!
6. Your mobile camera lens: keep it clean! We all know how dirty mobile phones can become. Keeping your lens clean can make a world of a difference.
Extra tip – Feeling creative? No matter what kind of mobile phone you have there are photography apps ready to add special effects to all your photos. These are our favorite iPhone and Android apps:
– Vintiphone or Hipstamatic – This will give your photos a ’70s look.
– Color Splash – Keep your whole picture black and white while adding a splash of colour here and there (see below).
– Quad Camera – Sequence shooting with your mobile. (Best App Ever! Awarded in 2009.)
– Camera Bag – Enjoy endless filters and effects.
Although these mobile apps allow you to add fun, creative effects, they aren’t helpful when it comes to actually taking photos with your mobile phone. Want more tips? See our Tips & Tricks section.