Our designer Paula (and secretly voted best baker EVER) is always bringing in treats for us! And now, she has kindly shared her favourite Christmas cookie recipe – her own version of German cinnamon stars. These delicious bites will make great Christmas presents or decorations for the tree as you spruce up your house in time for the festivities!
Check out our video and instructions below and don’t forget to share your food pics with us on Instagram by including #albelliadvent in your caption.
You will need:
1. 250g Almond flour (or other ground nuts, in Germany you can buy ground Hazelnuts too, or you pick your favourite nuts and blend them at home)
2. 3 teaspoons cocoa
3. 1 teaspoon cinnamon
4. 100g icing sugar + 50g for the glaze
5. 1 egg white + 0.5 egg white for the glaze
6. 3 teaspoons orange juice – if you can find organic/untreated oranges, you can alternatively use 1 orange zest
1. Mix the almond flour, 100g icing sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and orange juice/zest.
2. Add 1 egg white, knead until consistent.
3. Roll out dough between foil (plastic bags also work nicely), to 0.5 – 1cm thickness.
4. Cut (stars are the traditional shape) and place on baking sheet.
5. Mix the 50g icing sugar and half an egg white (if you have an electric whisk, whisk for 5 minutes, until it’s thick, bright and foamy, that will make it easier to work with).
6. Put the glaze on the cookies (not too thinly).
7. Bake at 150°C around 10-15min (avoid browning the meringue topping).
4 tips for showing off your cookies on Instagram
So now your mouth-watering Christmas cookies are complete, you’ll obviously want to show them off to the world before you tuck in. Here are a few pointers on how to proudly present your home bakes:
1. Frame your cookies and a few props to fit into the classic square of Instagram. Rotate your phone to landscape and follow the rule of thirds by placing the cookies slightly to the left. Leaving a bit of space to the side of the plate, rather than having it in the middle, will create a more interesting shot.
2. Find your light and focus. Natural light is always a better option. Avoiding the use of flash also helps to show off those natural colours. Tap the screen to sharpen the point of focus to ensure your cookies and their details are clear.
3. Shoot from a bird’s eye view (This is go-to style of shooting especially for iPhone. It is also a popular angle to snap from on Instagram).
4. Edit but don’t go overboard. Simply adjusting the contrast and brightness can transform your images, so try some basic edits first before reaching for filters.
Love to bake? Then why not preserve your best recipes in your very own photo book! Create a personalised keepsake that your family and friends can enjoy for years to come. It’s the perfect gift to inspire others and also a chance to be proud of your culinary efforts!
Until next time,
The Creative Team